The next PIC Canadian offering of the Poultry Welfare Auditor Course conducted by the Professional Animal Auditor Certification Organization – PAACO – will be November 13 – 15, 2018 in Guelph, Ontario. Course details, registration and hotel accommodations will be made available summer 2018. General course information is listed below.
To train potential poultry welfare auditors using as a basis the welfare criteria and standards generally found and accepted in industry audits for broilers, turkeys and egg layers.
The Poultry Welfare Auditor Course conducted by the Professional Animal Auditor Certification Organization (PAACO) is the certification course for broiler, layer and turkey auditors. PAACO is an organization of seven professional animal organizations with extensive expertise on best management practices and current science in animal agriculture. The organization’s purpose is to promote the humane treatment of animals through education and certification of animal auditors as well as the review and/or certification of animal audit instruments, assessments and programs.
The current organizations are:
Auditor Certification Process / Steps
Step 1: Participate in a 3-day education and instruction course including production site experience.ù
Step 2: Conduct and complete two shadowed audits in a broiler, table egg or turkey production setting under the supervision of a PAACO poultry certified auditor of your choice within 12 months of the course.
Step 3: Upon the completion of satisfactory ratings by the certified auditor(s) in Step 2, an official endorsement as a PAACO “Certified Poultry Welfare Auditor” will be issued and your information included in a data base of certified auditors.
PAACO reserves the right to limit class size and registrations to qualified individuals.
- Read, write and walk unassisted in a poultry production and processing plant environment
- Trainees must not have had contact with poultry, water fowl or pet birds for 72 hours prior to 1st site visit (no contact after 5pm Oct 28th)
Education & experience requirements:
- Master’s, Ph.D., DVM with relevant livestock experience of 2 years within the past 5 years.
- Bachelor’s degree with relevant livestock experience of 3 years within the past 7 years.
- Associate’s degree with relevant livestock experience of 5 years within the past 7 years.
- High school diploma with relevant livestock experience of 10 years within the past 15 years.
A condensed resume must be sent to email@example.com upon registration for screening (Please note individuals who do not meet the requirements below are still eligible to participate in the course, but will not qualify for certification).
Condensed resumes must include the following:
- Highest level of education.
- Number of years working with livestock.
- Poultry experience.
- Name of current employer/company.
For Certified Auditors, please note that PIC’s education and extension sessions are on the list of approved conferences for those interested in maintaining their PAACO Poultry Welfare Auditor certification. Any hours accumulated attending these sessions can be utilized as continuing education credits to maintain your PAACO Auditor status